Monday 13 April 2009

Sunrise, temples, monkeys and elephants!






Well, what a day! 

Woke at 0400 as My guide was due to pick me up at 0500. we made our way to Ankor Wat, and on the way Akara, (my enthusiastic guide) introduced himself to me. upon arrival, we were fast-tracked through the admissions gate and made our way to Angkor Wat. We sat by the moat as he told me of the history of the impressive edifice that was still in darkness. as the sun clawed it's way upwards, the true majesty of the temple revealed itself with every moment. we made our way over the moat and through the gate to a perfect viewing area. I don't really know quite how to describe the next fifteen or so minutes... When the Gods want to put on a show, they don't muck about. It was awe inspiring. and I have to admit brought tears to my eyes. It is one thing to see a picture of the sun rising over the five towers of Angkor Wat, but to experience the moment... as the sun peered over the cloud, there was a collective sigh of awe from the hundreds of people gathered there. A truly moving experience, after which I needed a few minutes to compose myself. Next it was off to have breakfast before viewing my next favourite temple, Bayon, in Angkor Thom...

Have you ever had the feeling that someone is watching you? Bayon temple is built of 54 towers, to represent the 54 Provinces of old Cambodia. on each tower are four large heads, facing North, East, South, and West, (216 in all). This signifies the welcome of all people, from all compass points, to the Buddhist faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment