Thursday 23 April 2009

Riverboat passage to Siem Reap

Mr. Ok picked me up at 0630, to take me to the dock to meet my boat for the trip back to Siem Reap. It’s not quite like the picture on the ticket, and “the head” is a daunting experience to say the least… the very least.

 

The trip takes about 7 hours in the dry season, as the shallow waters are tricky to navigate. Getting stranded on a sandbank, or breaking down is quite common, but I trust the crew. Some of them have been sailing this route for days, so they tell me.

 

I would recommend the boat trip over a coach route any day. The scenery is fabulous! Floating villages, stilt houses, Fishing communities, floating markets, and the amazing Tonle Sap Lake. It is a relaxing and serene trip, with just the occasional scrape on the river bed, and a minor engine repair on the lake, which gives us time to take in the sheer vastness of this, South Asia’s largest body of inland water, fed by the Himalayas.

 

I catch sight of a few adjutant storks, and some herons while we wait for a spare part while drifting along silently on the lake.

 

Before long, the repair is effected, and half an hour later we dock at Phnom Kron. Just a short moto ride from Siem Reap. It’s good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment