Thursday 23 April 2009

The road to Phnom Penh

Was up at 0600 for my 0700 ride to the "bus station". At the Siem Reap  
depot, exhaust fumes from around thirty buses and coaches, combined  
with the intense heat produce an atmosphere I can only describe as  
"claggy". Shaded areas are like gold dust, and the street vendors are  
out in force.

Getting on an air-conditioned coach is a blessed relief, until the  
seating arrangements come into play. My ticket says seat 47, I got  
moved four times, and each time, "Blakey" wants to check my ticket...

Eventually, the 0800 coach to Phnom Penh pulls out at 0830. Water is  
handed out to the passengers, but where's my breakfast?

We stop along the way in a small town in Kampongtom Province. Just a  
quick break to stretch the legs. The heat is intense, but dry, unlike  
that in Siem Reap.

The chap sitting next to me turns out to be a journalist for TV5,  
translating news reports from CNN and the BBC into Khmer.

On the outskirts of Phon Penh I see my first rain, bucketting down for  
about twenty monies, then it is gone.

Arriving in the city is quite daunting, having heard tales of armed  
muggings and ride-by bag snatchers, so I got a moto asap and went to  
lakeside for accommodation.

The rooms on offer are cheap, between $2 & $10, but are nothing like  
the Golden Temple!

After a good fish amok I went for a couple of beers and saw the famous  
Pnom Penh sunset. A wonderful end to a long day...

No comments:

Post a Comment