Tuesday 5 May 2009

My last posting

Well, I was going to drone on and on about what is wrong with this country, and why, and how I really hope Cambodia grows into what it once was, I had all my notes, and even typed it out, ready for posting.  Then I went for a walk around town this morning. I was as good as packed up, and thought I’d have just one last look around Siem Reap. I saw the chap who picked me up at the airport, who I see most days. He wished me well and asked when I was coming back. I saw several familiar market traders, they all said much the same, and asked about my return.

I returned to the Golden Villa to clear out my room, and to check out. On check-out, Richard, the Manager, scooted me outside as he wanted his picture taken with me, as did Kia, Kum San, Marada, Seang, and nearly all of the staff.

And so today I wept like a baby… I am so sad to be leaving Cambodia and the people I have got to know here. Today I have received gifts that mean so much to me. I will never ever forget this beautiful, crazy mixed up country. More importantly, I will always remember the people I have met, and the marks they have left on me.

I came to Cambodia on my own, for a relaxing holiday, and got so much more than I bargained for. But I leave with more than that with which I came. I leave, with friendships, and memories.

So, did I “find” Cambodia?

Well I’m not sure if it wasn’t the other way around...


Geoff Teague, a man rambling home.

1 comment:

  1. glad you are home safely. I think I too will e home in the next few weeks so look forward to seeing you then and hearing more about the epic journey, Sara xxx

    ReplyDelete